Humans have always shown a great deal of dependency on plant-based nutrition. Whether it is fresh seasonal produce or seeds and nuts, these food items are supposed to be much healthier than anything else. One such plant derivative that has now become a must-eat for many health-conscious beings is hemp seed. As out of the box as it sounds but there are many health benefits of hemp seeds and also in different sectors.
These seeds are obtained once the hemp plants are harvested. If you want to include a superfood in your diet, nothing will be as good as these seeds. Keeping this in mind, we have further elaborated on some of the major health benefits of hemp seeds in this article.
What are the health benefits of hemp seeds?
1. An excellent source of protein.
Protein is one of the main macronutrients that the human body needs for growth, metabolic processes, and other forms of cellular activities. In fact, many diets need to have more protein than other nutrients, in keto and paleo diets. So, including hemp seeds in your daily routine can prove to be more beneficial for you.
Your body will receive 9.46 grams of plant-based proteins for every 30 grams of hemp seeds. Since it is considered a superfood, you will get all the nine essential amino acids that the human body cannot produce. For instance, the seed contains arginine which is one of the most important amino acids to keep the heart healthy and functional for a long time.
2. Storehouse of omega fatty acids.
Out of all the types of fatty acids, the omega group is considered the most beneficial. These monounsaturated molecules not only help reduce the total LDL concentration in blood but also ensure a longer life for humans. Fortunately, studies have revealed that hemp seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids in enough quantities that can work wonders for the body. Primarily, it contains ALA or alpha-linoleic acid, which is known for:
- ALA is considered to have two to three glycerol molecules attached to the main lattice, and these play a crucial role in reducing intra-organ fat. Studies have shown that people who suffer from obesity can easily reduce their body weight by consuming food items containing higher concentrations of ALA omega-3 fatty acid, like hemp seed.
- Research has also shown that ALA can help prevent cancer in many people, especially rectal and colon cancers. It mainly stops the mutating potential of some compounds present in the bloodstream, thereby keeping the somatic cells healthier.
- Cardiac health also improves a lot with the consumption of ALA fatty acids present in hemp seeds. First, it reduces the LDL cholesterol level in the blood, thereby preventing any kind of harmful impact on cardiac functions. Second, the omega-3 fatty acid also ensures lower blood pressure.
3. Higher fibre content.
Fibre is extremely essential for human health for proper digestion and faecal formation. If you do not have enough fibre intake, you might suffer from different health problems, including constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, gastritis, indigestion and bloating, and many more. Since hemp seed happens to have 1.2 grams of fibre per 30 grams, getting rid of these issues won’t be a problem anymore.
Some of the benefits of having fibre from hemp seeds in your diet are:
- Fibre provides a feeling of fullness, which is why you won’t feel hungry or famished too much. This can further help you manage your diet by reducing portions and losing weight. If you are on intermittent fasting, hemp seeds will help you a lot in staying full for a longer time.
- It also helps food movement through the large intestine or colon, thereby preventing conditions like constipation, bloating, and gas formation. In fact, people suffering from chronic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome can take hemp seeds owing to the higher fibre content.
4. Neurological benefits.
One of the major benefits of hemp seeds is neurological functioning. It contains a high amount of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, which play a crucial role in maintaining optimal health of all nerves, especially the cranial ones. For instance, it contains a higher degree of y-tocopherol. It is an antioxidant responsible for preventing cellular damage due to oxidative stress. So, the neurons will be safe from such degenerative damage, thereby functioning in a better way.
Another study has revealed that hemp seeds can have a potential contribution towards preventing degenerative neural diseases, like:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer disease
- Multiple sclerosis
5. Reduces cellular or tissue inflammation.
Cellular or tissue inflammation can occur due to numerous reasons. It can be an acute infection inside the body causing the cells to inflame or a side effect of any compound present in the bloodstream. Sometimes, the body’s natural immune system functions in an adverse manner, causing the tissues to inflame internally. The best way to prevent such problems is by including hemp seeds in your regular diet.
These seeds contain a high amount of anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce internal inflammations of epithelial and glandular cells. For instance, it contains GLA or gamma linoleic acid which has an immense effect on reducing inflammation in humans. Furthermore, once the inflammation is prevented, your body will become immune to different chronic problems like:
- Diabetes Type 2 is where the body’s responsiveness towards insulin reduces.
- Arthritis is where the osteocytes inflame, causing excruciating pain.
- Heart diseases caused due to inflammation in cardiac muscles.
How to eat hemp seeds in tastier ways?
It is quite natural for you to be reluctant in eating the hemp seeds directly as the taste might not sit well with you. In this case, you can try out these ways to incorporate this superfood into your regular diet.
- Adding hemp seeds to a protein-rich smoothie.
- Roasted hemp seeds go well with oatmeal.
- Hemp seeds can also be included in granola bars.
- They are amazing at adding crunch to salads.
Boost Your Health With Nature’s Gift of Hemp Seed.
To enjoy the potential health benefits of hemp seeds, you need to have the best quality product without any doubt. We, at Hemp in India, offer best-in-breed hemp seeds obtained from plants grown in India. These seeds are further purified to ensure they contain maximum nutrients with zero toxicity level, are free from any chemical processing and committed to meeting your nutritional needs.